Used by facilities of all types, retail security teams are predominantly concerned with keeping staff and visitors safe from harm while also working to reduce theft.
For this reason, retail security is a common sight on the British high street and at private events like galas and auctions.
So, are retail security staff the same as doormen? Read on to find out once and for all how this valuable resource could help you.
What is a retail security officer?
Retail security officers are highly trained and skilled individuals, hired directly or through a third-party provider, whose main focus is to keep shops, malls, and retail parks safe and secure for everyone who might want to use them.
They may carry out a wide range of day-to-day activities and are generally uniformed to make themselves instantly recognisable – both for those seeking help and to deter potential criminals.
Reputable retail security staff must either have an SIA Door Supervisor Licence or have passed the SIA Security Guard Training course, and also need a range of personal skills that make them ideally suited to the job, including:
- Patience and empathy
- The ability to remain calm in the face of anti-social behaviour or violence
- Excellent customer service
- Superb communication skills
Far from the hot-headed hardmen we see in films, retail security must be able to represent your brand impeccably no matter what occurs throughout their shift.
Can retail security arrest people?
Unlike the police who have the power to arrest, detain, and move shoplifters to secure facilities, retail security officers have much more limited powers and often work alongside the emergency services, acting as first responders.
That’s not to say that they have no authority, however.
Retail security can complete a citizen’s arrest and use reasonable force – if the right conditions are met – to stop acts of crime from occurring.
These acts of crime include:
- Assault (including physical injury to themselves or others)
- Criminal damage (if worth over £5,000)
- Anyone attempting to escape before a police officer can assume responsibility for them
If they witness any of these crimes, retail security is specifically trained to observe, assess, and act – using necessary force to detain them until the emergency services arrive.
At this time, they would then pass the accused into the custody of the police officer, answer any questions they may have, and complete statements outlining what they saw and how they then acted – both for their employer and the emergency services.
For more information on the legal parameters of retail security work, explore our blog ‘Can Retail Security Restrain Wrongdoers?’
Why get retail security from a third party?
You might wonder why, given the seriousness of their job, some retail giants choose to hire third-party retail security staff – especially if they are a staple of the British high street.
The answer is simply the convenience.
Hiring and maintaining your bank of retail security staff can be a time-consuming task that adds to your already busy day, while the associated ease of third-party providers, like T-Class UK, can remove that stress entirely.
Hundreds of retail and leisure facilities use retail security from T-Class because of our:
- Thorough background checks – which ensure nobody untrustworthy makes it into a position of trust in your establishment.
- Experienced staff – who are able to work anywhere, at a moment’s notice.
- Qualified officers – all security staff from T-Class UK are regularly vetted to ensure they have the SIA licence they need and tokeep on top of all future training.
- Adaptable personnel – who can do everything from monitoring CCTV and patrolling the store to administering first aid and completing covert surveillance.
- Flexible packages – whether you need a basic package that remains consistent or a bespoke package that adjusts to your daily needs, we can do it all.
Explore the benefits that come with SIA-trained retail security staff
If your current retail security is a bit lacklustre, or you’ve never needed a security team before – getting started can seem overwhelming.
Why not make your life a little simpler and rely on recommended experts in retail security?
At T-Class Security UK, we’ve been supplying the highest-quality retail security to a wide range of premises since 1998 and have the staff you need to minimise risk without paying over the odds.
For more information about how our retail security teams can help you, get in touch today. You can call us on 0203 7948182 or fill in our online contact form for a bespoke quote and we’ll be in touch.